The Deva Mix-12 from Zaxcom is a new concept in location mixing. It is a control surface for the embedded digital audio mixer of either the Deva IV or V location recorders.
Mix 12 Features:
- True digital mixing console
- 3-band shelving EQ with 2 notch filters and high pass per channel
- Soft knee compressor with makeup gain
- All cross points are cross faded (never any clicks or pops)
- Zero time offset design for no phase distortion channel to channel
- No audio cabling from mixer to recorder
- Floating point DSP (no internal clipping or quantization issues)
- Unlimited routing
- No sample rate issues between mixer and recorder
- Integrated Deva record & stop buttons
- QWERTY keyboard for metadata input
- Cross points can be pre or post fader with phase inversion
The Mix-12 is fully digital, only the microphone pre-amps, A/D and D/A converters are used for analog connections to the outside world. Mixing is performed in the digital domain via a floating DSP ensuring the highest quality, unlike analog mixing consoles where distortion or channel to channel differences can occur over time or with temperature changes.
The microphone preamps are sound studio quality, ensuring no coloration of audio by transformers or other analog circuitry. The effects are superb, with the ability to remove hum, buzzes and even crickets by the two notch filters on each channel. There are 3 band shelving filters with individual control of Level, Q, and Frequency via the Deva’s graphic interface.
Mix-12’s soft knee compressor is one of the best available, chosen for its natural sound and transparency.
Each of the 12 fader strips provide instant access to bus routing and effects for that channel. An LED input meter is provided on each channel strip to augment the Devas full color output metering.
Three separate talk-back busses can be routed to any combination of outputs and internal mix busses.
Mix 12 Specifications:
Operating Temperature Range: -20 to +60 C
Meters: 12 — 18 LED segments per meter
Channel EQ Buttons: 12 — 4 buttons each
Input Faders: 12 — 100 mm faders
Trimmers: 12 — rotary
EQ Levels: 3 — rotary
Jog Wheel: 1
Output Faders: 4 — rotary
Buttons: REC, STOP, TONE, TALK1, TALK2, SLATE
Built-in Keyboard: 60 keys
Weight: 8.6 lbs (3.9 kg)
Dimensions (H x W x D): 12.38″ x 17″ x 4″ (314.5 mm x 431.8 mm x 101.6 mm)
Data Connection: 2 — DB-9 (DE-9) RS422 to Host Recorder
Power: 8 to 16 VDC @ 500 mA
Power Connector: XLR–4M